Sunday, July 13, 2014

Summer-appropriate quotes from Bridget Jones' Diary

The first half of this book is witty and endearing (although the second half disappoints, don't you agree?).  I picked up a copy at Goodwill on Friday and re-read over the weekend, when these bits jumped out at me:


"Completely exhausted by entire day of date-preparation.  Being  a woman is worse than being a farmer-- there is so much harvesting and crop-spraying to be done:  legs to be waxed, underarms shaved, eyebrows plucked, feet pumiced,  skin exfoliated and moisturized,  spots cleansed, roots dyed, eyelashes tinted, nails filed, cellulite massaged, stomach muscles exercised.  The whole performance is so highly tuned you only need to neglect it for a few days for the whole thing to go to seed."  (p.27)

So true.  Grooming is work; and I'll add that summer grooming is mandatory, unless you plan to wear jeans in 90-degree heat.


"Realize, as the long hot days freakishly repeat themselves, one after another, that whatever I am doing I really think I ought to be doing something else.  .  .  .   The more the sun shines the more obvious it seems that others are making fuller, better use of it elsewhere: possibly at some giant softball game to which everyone is invited except me; possibly alone with their lover in a rustic glade by the waterfalls where Bambis graze, or at some large public celebratory event, probably including the Queen Mother and one or more of the football tenors, to mark the exquisite summer which I am failing to get the best out of."  (p. 128)

Me too.  Plus, the mosquitoes, wasps, and glaring sun can spoil the most idyllic picture!  And then the kids need hats, sunscreen, sunglasses, cups of water, often bathing suits and water shoes, maybe a potty because they're newly trained... Many times it's just easier to give up and stay indoors!  Wearing socks and yoga pants, because I skipped my morning's "farming." 

I thank God for AC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment